Who are Chosen Heritage?
Chosen Heritage are Prepaid Funeral Plan providers in the UK. Their plans are managed by Dignity, who Chosen Heritage claim are the leading Funeral Plan provider in the UK.
Chosen Heritage started offering funeral plans in 1985, and they provided the first UK funeral plan. They served over 100,000 customers while trading under this name in the decade between 1985 and 1995.
Chosen Heritage have changed their corporate name multiple times over the years. They have operated under the following companies:
- Chosen Heritage Limited (1985-1995)
- Funeral Plans Limited (1995 -2001)
- Dignity Pre Arrangement Limited (2001 to present), which is now referred to as Dignity
Dignity work with a network of 1,200 Funeral Directors based across the UK, some of which they own and others which they approve for delivering services to their customers.
Dignity has served 520,000 funeral plan customers.
Compare Chosen Heritage Funeral Plans – now Dignity Funeral Plans
Chosen Heritage stopped selling funeral plans in 1995, and their remaining customers are taken care of by Dignity, who offer a range of plans. Anyone who wishes to take out a new funeral plan with Chosen Heritage would need to do this through the Dignity brand.
As with any financial decision, we recommend that you carefully consider what you need and what options are currently available across the market. We can help you with this process.
- Who are Chosen Heritage?
- Compare Chosen Heritage Funeral Plans – now Dignity Funeral Plans
- The Limited Funeral Plan
- The Amber Funeral Plan
- The Pearl Plan
- The Diamond Plan
- Have Chosen Heritage (now Dignity) Funeral Plans got good customer feedback?
- What happens if I take out a Chosen Heritage (now Dignity) Funeral Plan?
- Where do Chosen Heritage (now Dignity) keep their clients’ money?
- Do they offer guarantees?
- Are Chosen Heritage (now Dignity) registered with the Funeral Planning Authority (FPA)?
- What payment options are available?
- What if I have a complaint with Chosen Heritage?
- Chosen Heritage Frequently Asked Questions
- WHAT IS THE AVERAGE COST OF A PREPAID FUNERAL PLAN WITH CHOSEN HERITAGE?
- IS A FUNERAL PLAN WITH CHOSEN HERITAGE THE BEST OPTION FOR ME?
- ARE CHOSEN HERITAGE A TRUSTWORTHY COMPANY FOR FUNERAL PLANS?
- DO I NEED TO HAVE A HEALTH CHECK TO GET A CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) FUNERAL PLAN?
- WHAT IF I DIE BEFORE I’VE COMPLETED THE INSTALMENTS ON MY PAYMENT PLAN?
- ARE CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) FUNERAL PLANS FLEXIBLE?
- ARE THE CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) PAYMENT OPTIONS FLEXIBLE?
- WILL CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) WORK WITH MY PREFERRED FUNERAL DIRECTOR?
- I’M WORRIED ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY THAT MY FUNERAL DIRECTOR COULD GO OUT OF BUSINESS
- WHAT IF I CHANGE MY MIND?
- WHAT HAPPENS IF CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) GO OUT OF BUSINESS?
- I’M CONSIDERING MOVING IN THE UK. CAN I STILL HAVE A PLAN WITH CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY)?
- DO THE PLANS HAVE AGE LIMITS?
- CAN I BUY A PLAN FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND, OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE FOR ME?
Dignity offer four types of funeral plan.
The four Dignity plans are: The Limited Funeral Plan, The Amber Funeral Plan, The Pearl Funeral Plan, and The Diamond Funeral Plan. The funeral plans have competitive pricing, and they all include different service offerings, so it’s essential to understand the details.
We are happy to support you with any questions.
The Limited Funeral Plan
Dignity’s Limited Funeral Plan is their base level plan, covering the main costs related to a typical funeral. The plan has less options for the timing of the funeral and the Funeral Directors you can use when compared to the other options that Dignity offer. This plan also does not include a facility to pay for additional requests in advance.
The Limited Funeral Plan includes the following benefits:
- Funeral Director Services from a network of 800 owned or approved branches
- Death registration guidance
- Managing the funeral logistics and guiding the family
- Transport of the deceased in a suitable vehicle to a funeral home within 50 miles, at any time of day. This transportation service does not include ferry or airfare fees
- Preparation of the deceased for viewing, without embalming
- Basic coffin
- Chapel of Rest with viewings organised at a mutually convenient time
- Funeral Director, driver, pallbearers
- Guaranteed payment of Funeral Director fees and cremation fees. Contribution to burial fees
- Can move plan within the UK if you move home
- Documentation of special requests, such as preferred hymns
- 24/7 support helpline
- Free bereavement telephone service
The Amber Funeral Plan
The Amber Funeral Plan contains all the benefits of Dignity’s Limited Funeral Plan plus:
- Support from a more extensive network of 1,200 Funeral Directors
- Managing a collection for charitable donations, flowers and other tributes
- Wood effect coffin
- Mutual agreement on date and time of the funeral with fewer limitations
- Ability to add extra items to your plan such as a limousine
- Can make payments towards special requests during the lifetime of the plan. Contributions increase annually in line with inflation
The Pearl Plan
The Pearl Plan is Dignity’s most popular Funeral Plan. It includes the benefits of The Amber and The Limited Funeral Plans plus:
- A quality wood effect coffin
- One limousine
- A funeral procession from the funeral home to a specified location and then onto the crematorium or burial site
- Complimentary thank you cards
The Diamond Plan
The Diamond Plan is Dignity’s top of the range Funeral Plan, which they market as being particularly suitable for larger families. It includes the benefits of the other plans plus:
- A high-quality wood veneer coffin
- 24/7 access to view the deceased in a private chapel
- Two limousines
The Diamond Plan has received a five-star rating from the independent financial review site, Defaqto.
Have Chosen Heritage (now Dignity) Funeral Plans got good customer feedback?
Chosen Heritage stopped selling Funeral Plans before online independent customer review sites were available. However, Dignity has extensive customer reviews available on the independent review site called Feefo. Feefo emails all Dignity customers after their purchase to gain feedback about their experiences, and enables them to leave anonymous reviews.
At the time of writing, Dignity has an excellent score of 4.8 stars out of 5 on Feefo, comprised of over 1,800 reviews. Feefo awarded Dignity a Platinum Trusted Service Award in 2020 in recognition of its consistently excellent service.
The majority of reviews comment on Dignity’s excellent service standards. In the few cases where customers have left negative feedback, or expressed a concern, Dignity have replied to assist the client.
What happens if I take out a Chosen Heritage (now Dignity) Funeral Plan?
Dignity is taking care of all Chosen Heritage customers. All new plans come under Dignity’s brand name.
Once you have signed up to a plan with Dignity, they will instate your plan within 14 days and send you a Planholder Pack. This pack contains the details of your plan, payments, cover, your Funeral Director and information to provide to whoever will be organising the funeral. You’ll also receive a second copy that you can pass to a family member or the Funeral Organiser.
If you take out a plan with Dignity and change your mind, then you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of the date that you received your Planholder Pack. If you cancel after this period, then Dignity take a cancellation fee from any amount due to be returned to you. At the time of writing, the cancellation fee is £249.
Where do Chosen Heritage (now Dignity) keep their clients’ money?
Customer funds relating to Chosen Heritage Funeral Plans are held in the National Funeral Trust, which the company created in 1986. This Trust receives an annual audit to ensure that it has sufficient funds to support the remaining plan holders.
Dignity is a financially stable company with a long history. It also places new client monies into the National Funeral Trust.
Do they offer guarantees?
The Dignity Promise offers a guarantee to customers who opt for a payment plan of longer than 12 months. If they die before the payment plan finishes and their actual payments are in good standing, Dignity will cover the outstanding balance so that this does not become a liability for loved ones. You also receive protection on a 12-month payment plan if you pass away due to an accident.
With Dignity’s prepaid plans, you fix your Funeral Directors’ prices on the date that you buy your policy.
If you select a burial option, then they guarantee to contribute to the fees related to the burial. For cremations, they guarantee to cover the cremation fee and the fees associated with the Minister or Officiant in line with standard fees for these services.
Dignity are the first UK-based organisation to receive the BSI Kitemark™ for Customer Service, so they market themselves as an organisation that consistently delivers excellent service.
Are Chosen Heritage (now Dignity) registered with the Funeral Planning Authority (FPA)?
Yes, Dignity have a registration with the Funeral Planning Authority through their limited company, Dignity Pre Arrangement Limited.
What payment options are available?
Dignity allow customers to select from three payment options:
- A single payment, covering the full cost of the funeral plan
- A 12-month instalment plan, which does not come at an additional cost
- Longer instalment plans provided that all payments will finish by the time the oldest person named on the plan has reached 85. There is an additional fee for instalment plans of over 12 months to ensure that the client monies held within the Trust Fund can grow with inflation.
Dignity accept payments by debit card, credit card, or by direct debit for instalment options.
What if I have a complaint with Chosen Heritage?
If you have a complaint relating to a Chosen Heritage Funeral Plan, you can call 0800 525 555.
If you would prefer to email Chosen Heritage, their email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would prefer to write to Chosen Heritage, their address for complaints purposes is:
Dignity Pre Arrangement Limited
4 King Edwards Court
King Edwards Square
If Chosen Heritage, now Dignity, do not resolve your complaint, you can refer it to the Funeral Planning Authority by calling 0845 601 9619.
Chosen Heritage Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE COST OF A PREPAID FUNERAL PLAN WITH CHOSEN HERITAGE?
Chosen Heritage no longer offer Funeral Plans under this brand name. However, the company currently operates as Dignity, who have a choice of four plans, each with different price points and payment plans, to meet the differing needs of their customers. You can find the up-to-date pricing on Dignity’s website.
IS A FUNERAL PLAN WITH CHOSEN HERITAGE THE BEST OPTION FOR ME?
There are numerous funeral plan providers on the market, all with different price points and options, so it is best to consider your needs and then review which company is the best match for you.
You should consider if:
• Dignity offer you a price that is easily affordable for you now, and in the future, if you are considering an instalment plan
• Dignity give you the optional extras which you will need
• You are happy with Dignity’s reviews and reputation
Once you have considered all of the above aspects, then you are ready to apply for a funeral plan with the provider that best meets your needs.
ARE CHOSEN HERITAGE A TRUSTWORTHY COMPANY FOR FUNERAL PLANS?
Chosen Heritage incorporated in 1984 under the company name Chosen Heritage Limited. They, therefore, have a long history in the business. The company evolved to become Dignity which incorporated as Dignity Pre Arrangement Limited in 2001.
You should always consider all of the different funeral providers to make sure you are buying a funeral plan which is most suitable for you and your family. Dignity is a legitimate Prepaid Funeral Plan company with an established history and excellent customer feedback.
DO I NEED TO HAVE A HEALTH CHECK TO GET A CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) FUNERAL PLAN?
Dignity guarantees to accept you for their funeral plans if you are 50 or over, with no need to undertake a health examination or to answer questions about your health.
WHAT IF I DIE BEFORE I’VE COMPLETED THE INSTALMENTS ON MY PAYMENT PLAN?
If you die before meeting the financial terms of your plan, and you are on a payment plan of more than 12 months, and your payments are up to date, then Dignity will cover the remaining amounts due so that your loved ones do not have to contribute. You are also covered on a 12-month payment plan if you pass away due to an accident.
This guarantee is known as The Dignity Promise.
ARE CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) FUNERAL PLANS FLEXIBLE?
Yes, with a Dignity Funeral Plan, you have the option to switch to another plan if your needs change. You can also personalise your plan through individual requests. If these requests have a fee attached to them, then this due at the time of the funeral with The Limited Plan. With The Amber, Pearl and Diamond Plan, you can contribute to these additional costs within your plan, which will increase in line with inflation annually.
ARE THE CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) PAYMENT OPTIONS FLEXIBLE?
Yes, you have a choice of paying in full or paying by instalment with each of Dignity’s plans.
WILL CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) WORK WITH MY PREFERRED FUNERAL DIRECTOR?
Through Dignity’s Limited Plan, you have a choice of 800 Funeral Directors, which rises to 1,200 with The Amber, Pearl and Diamond Plans.
I’M WORRIED ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY THAT MY FUNERAL DIRECTOR COULD GO OUT OF BUSINESS
Dignity own many of the Funeral Directors in their network. If they went out of business, their client money is protected because it sits in an independent Trust Fund. The Managing Trustees would work with the remaining Funeral Directors in the network and appoint New Nominated Funeral Directors to meet the needs of existing customers. They would also receive support from the Funeral Planning Authority if required.
WHAT IF I CHANGE MY MIND?
If you change your mind about the type of plan you wish to have with Dignity, then you can contact them for free 24/7 on 0800 587 2541, or write to them to express your updated wishes. Their address is:
Dignity Funeral Plans
4 King Edwards Court
King Edwards Square
Alternatively, if you decide you no longer want to have a plan with Dignity, then you can receive a full refund within 30 days of receiving your Planholder Pack. If you choose to cancel after 30 days, then, at the time of writing, Dignity will charge you a cancellation fee of £249.
WHAT HAPPENS IF CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY) GO OUT OF BUSINESS?
Dignity have a registration with the Funeral Planning Authority (FPA). The FPA guarantee to work with their other registered providers if a funeral business ceases to trade, so that its customers receive an appropriate funeral in their time of need.
Dignity clients also receive protection because their money is held separately to the company in an independent Trust Fund.
I’M CONSIDERING MOVING IN THE UK. CAN I STILL HAVE A PLAN WITH CHOSEN HERITAGE (NOW DIGNITY)?
Dignity have a network of Funeral Directors across the UK. If you move within the UK, Dignity can transfer your plan to your new area.
DO THE PLANS HAVE AGE LIMITS?
Anyone who is 50 and above can buy a plan from Dignity. There is no maximum age.
CAN I BUY A PLAN FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND, OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE FOR ME?
Yes, you can purchase a plan with Dignity for someone else as long as the individual is aged 50 plus.