Who are Golden Leaves Funeral Plans?
Golden Leaves are Prepaid Funeral Plan providers with a long history dating back to 1875 when a Croydon-based family started providing Funeral Director services.
The company formed in 1984 and became a founding member of two significant bodies in the industry; The National Association for Prepaid Funeral Plans (NAPFP) and The Funeral Planning Authority (FPA). It also claims to have been one of the first companies to offer Prepaid Funeral Plans.
Golden Leaves offer services in the UK and for expats living in Europe. They offer a repatriation service in collaboration with Rowland Brothers International.
Golden Leaves hold the BSI ISO: 9001, which is a mark of business excellence.
Compare Golden Leaves Funeral Plans
So, what types of plans do Golden Leaves offer and how do they compare to the market?
As with any financial decision, we recommend that you carefully consider what you need and what options are currently available across the market. We can assist you with this process.
Golden Leaves offer six types of Funeral Plan, plus an International Funeral Plan range and a range of Green Funeral Plans.
The six Golden Leaves plans are: The Copper Plan, The Bronze Plan, The Zinc Plan, The Silver Plan, The Gold Plan, and The Platinum Plan. These Funeral Plans have competitive pricing, and they all include different service offerings, so it’s essential to understand the details.
We are happy to support you with any questions.
Each funeral package covers the cost of a cremation funeral. However, with most of the plans, customers also have the option to select a burial. In this case, they receive an allowance towards the cemetery and burial fees.
The Copper Plan
The Golden Leaves Copper Plan is the lowest-cost plan, which covers the fees for a simple cremation without a service. It includes the following services:
- Funeral Director services
- Guidance for registrations, certifications and documentation
- Transportation of the deceased from a hospital or coroner during regular working hours. Collections from a home or nursing home are subject to additional fees
- Care of the deceased before cremation
- Basic coffin suitable for cremation
- Cremation fees
- Doctor’s fees
- A simple urn
- Preparation of ashes for collection or scattering in the garden of remembrance. Golden Leaves can organise the delivery of the deceased’s ashes for an additional fee
- Optional bereavement counselling, if available
The Bronze Plan
Golden Leaves’ Bronze Plan covers the costs of professional funeral services but does not include the fees for other third party costs such as the cremation fee, cemetery fees or clergy fees.
The Bronze Plan includes:
- Funeral Director services
- Guidance for registrations, certifications and documentations
- Transportation of the deceased from place of death to Funeral Director within a radius of 25 miles during usual working hours
- Basic coffin
- Care of the deceased
- Chapel of Rest available for family viewings
- Conductor and four pallbearers
- Thank you cards
- Optional bereavement counselling, if available
The Zinc Plan
The Golden Leaves Zinc Plan has the following differences when compared to The Bronze Plan:
- Allowance towards third party fees such as the Minister, the crematorium or cemetery
- Funeral date and time set by Funeral Director
The Silver Plan
The Golden Leaves Silver Plan includes some additional guaranteed fees. It contains the benefits of the Zinc Plan plus:
- Full costs of a cremation funeral including minister fees, or a contribution to burial fees
- Customer has a choice of the date and time of the funeral
The Gold Plan
The Golden Leaves Gold Plan contains all the features of The Silver Plan plus:
- Transportation of the deceased to the Funeral Home at any time of day
- A standard coffin
- One limousine
- A list of everyone who paid their respects by sending flowers
The Premier Plan
The Golden Leaves Premier Plan is the top of the range plan. It contains all the features of The Gold Plan plus:
- A high quality coffin
- Two limousines
Golden Leaves International Funeral Plans
Golden Leaves also offers a range of Prepaid Funerals for expats located in the following places:
- Balearic Islands
- Canary Islands
For each country, Golden Leaves offer three Funeral Plans:
- Opal for simple cremation-only services
- Pearl for individuals who want a more traditional funeral service and the flexibility of a burial or a cremation
- Golden for people who would like a repatriation service included within their plan
Golden Leaves Green Funeral Plans
The Golden Leaves green funeral range seeks to reduce the environmental impact of a funeral through choosing from options such as:
- Biodegradable coffins
- Planting trees to offset the carbon footprint of the funeral
- Donations to rainforests
For more information, see Golden Leaves Green.
Have Golden Leaves Funeral Plans got good customer feedback?
At the time of writing this review, Golden Leaves Funeral Plans have an excellent score of 4.7 out of 5 on Trustpilot, the independent customer review site. This score came from over 1,300 reviews. The positive feedback often references an excellent, straightforward, professional and friendly service.
There is evidence that Golden Leaves respond to the majority of the negative customer feedback on Trustpilot.
What happens if I take out a Golden Leaves Funeral Plan?
Once you have signed up to a plan with Golden Leaves, they will organise a welcome call with you and send you the following:
- An overview of your plan
- An emergency card to carry at all times
- Duplicate copies of your plan to share with your funeral organiser or others
If you take out a plan with Golden Leaves and change your mind, then you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days. If you cancel after this period, then Golden Leaves take a cancellation fee from any amount due to be returned to you, which depends on the payment plan you are on:
- If you paid in full, the cancellation fee is 20% of the plan’s value.
- If you paid monthly, then your refund will include a deduction for 20% of the plan’s value. If you have paid less than this, then you won’t receive a refund.
- Customers on the fixed monthly payment plan do not receive a refund.
Where do Golden Leaves keep their clients’ money?
Golden Leaves protect client monies from payments in full and monthly instalment options in The Golden Leaves Trust Fund. This fund is managed by an Independent Board of Trustees who ensure it has sufficient funds to meet the obligations of the Funeral Plans. The fund is compliant with The Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activities) Order 2001.
Golden Leaves invests monies from clients on the fixed monthly payment option, to a UK-based life assurance company called Phoenix Life Limited, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Do they offer guarantees?
Golden Leaves provide a guarantee that they refer to as the Golden Leaves Guarantee. This guarantee states that Golden Leaves will cover the full cost of a cremation funeral purchased with one of their plans.
Several of the plans also carry a guarantee for covering disbursements, also known as third party fees.
Are Golden Leaves registered with the Funeral Planning Authority (FPA)?
Yes, Golden Leaves have a registration with the Funeral Planning Authority through their limited company, Golden Leaves Limited. They were one of the founding members.
What payment options are available?
Golden Leaves allows customers to select from three payment options:
- A single payment, covering the full cost of the Funeral Plan
- 12-60 month instalment plans providing the opportunity to spread payments between 12 months and 60 months with no age restrictions.
- A fixed monthly payment option which provides a fixed monthly instalment for individuals aged between 50 and 75. This plan contains a potential rebate if you pay more into the plan than the funeral costs. The exact repayment depends on various Terms and Conditions.
Golden Leaves accept payments by debit card, credit card, cheque and payment plan instalments are processed by direct debit.
What if I have a complaint with Golden Leaves?
If you have a complaint with Golden Leaves then you can contact them through the following channels:
- Phone: UK: 0800 85 44 48 and outside UK: +44 20 8684 3463
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: Golden Leaves, 16th Floor No 1, 12-16 Addiscombe Road, Croydon CR0 0XT
Golden Leaves will acknowledge your complaint within seven working days and assign your case to someone who specialises in handling complaints. They aim to send a final response within 20 working days of receiving your complaint.
- : 0345 601 9619
- : firstname.lastname@example.org
- : Funeral Planning Authority, Barham Court, Teston, Maidstone, Kent ME18 5BZ
Golden Leaves Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE COST OF A PREPAID FUNERAL PLAN WITH GOLDEN LEAVES?
Golden Leaves offer six Funeral Plans, plus a range of international options and a green range, each with different price points, to meet the differing needs of their customers. Golden Leaves’ website lists the latest starting prices for each plan and the payment options.
IS A FUNERAL PLAN WITH GOLDEN LEAVES THE BEST OPTION FOR ME?
There are numerous Funeral Plan providers on the market, all with different price points and options, so it is best to consider your needs and then review which company is the best match for you.
You should consider if:
• Golden Leaves offer you a price that is easily affordable for you now, and in the future, if you are considering an instalment plan
• Golden Leaves give you the optional extras which you will need
• You are happy with Golden Leaves’ reviews and reputation
Once you have considered all of the above aspects, then you are ready to apply for a Funeral Plan with the provider that best meets your needs.
ARE GOLDEN LEAVES A TRUSTWORTHY COMPANY FOR FUNERAL PLANS?
Golden Leaves incorporated on 3 June 1994 under the company name Golden Leaves Limited, company number 02935393. Its website suggests that the company was operating in some form during the decade before this as well. They, therefore, have a long history in the business.
You should always consider all of the different funeral providers to make sure you are buying a funeral plan which is most suitable for you and your family. Also consider the feedback available online from any existing customers.
DO I NEED TO HAVE A HEALTH CHECK TO GET A GOLDEN LEAVES FUNERAL PLAN?
Golden Leaves Funeral Plans are available to all UK residents, with no need to undertake a health examination or to answer questions about your health. There are no age criteria for customers who pay in full or select the 12 to 60 month payment plans. However, the fixed monthly payment option is only open to customers between the ages of 50 and 75 at the date they purchase.
WHAT IF I DIE BEFORE I’VE COMPLETED THE INSTALMENTS ON MY PAYMENT PLAN?
If you die before paying a 12 to 60 month payment plan in full, then the Estate or a representative would need to pay the monies owed for the funeral to proceed. If this isn’t possible, then the Estate will receive a refund minus cancellation fees.
If you die before making 12 payments on a fixed monthly payment plan, then you are covered if your death was due to an accident. Otherwise, the policy will pay out 120% of the payments you have made and your representatives will need to meet the shortfall.
ARE GOLDEN LEAVES’ FUNERAL PLANS FLEXIBLE?
Yes, with a Golden Leaves plan, you have the option to make special requests when you select your plan. In some cases, Golden Leaves will be able to add the additional costs to your chosen payment option.
ARE GOLDEN LEAVES’ PAYMENT OPTIONS FLEXIBLE?
Yes, you have a choice of paying in full or paying by instalment with each of Golden Leaves’ plans. There is also a fixed monthly payment option for customers aged 50 to 75.
WILL GOLDEN LEAVES WORK WITH MY PREFERRED FUNERAL DIRECTOR?
If you select the Copper Plan, then Golden Leaves will select your funeral provider. With the other plans, Golden Leaves can subcontract to a local Funeral Director as long as the provider agrees to deliver your plan and to meet Golden Leaves’ required standards.
WHAT IF I CHANGE MY MIND?
If you change your mind about the type of plan you wish to have with Golden Leaves or your payments, then you can contact them on 0800 85 44 48 to discuss your updated wishes.
Alternatively, if you decide you no longer want to have a plan with Golden Leaves, then you can receive a full refund within 30 days of buying the policy. If you choose to cancel after 30 days, then Golden Leaves will charge you a cancellation fee.
WHAT HAPPENS IF GOLDEN LEAVES GO OUT OF BUSINESS?
The Golden Leaves Trust Fund protects client money, and keeps it separate to the company. In the event of company insolvency, the Trustees would find another company to deliver the plans.
Golden Leaves have a registration with the Funeral Planning Authority (FPA). The FPA guarantee to work with their other registered providers if a funeral business ceases to trade, so that its customers receive an appropriate funeral in their time of need.
I’M CONSIDERING MOVING IN THE UK. CAN I STILL HAVE A PLAN WITH GOLDEN LEAVES?
Golden Leaves have a network of Funeral Directors across the UK. If you move to another location in the UK, your plan can transfer to your new area. However, additional costs may apply if you move to a higher-cost area.
I’M CONSIDERING MOVING OVERSEAS. CAN I STILL HAVE A PLAN WITH GOLDEN LEAVES?
Paid-up plans are portable within specific geographies. Fixed monthly plans are also portable as long as customers continue to make their payments. To ensure you are covered, speak to Golden Leaves before moving.
DO GOLDEN LEAVES’ PLANS HAVE AGE LIMITS?
Plan paid in full or on the 12 to 60 month payment plans do not have age limits. The fixed payment option is only open to customers aged between 50 and 75.
CAN I BUY A GOLDEN LEAVES PLAN FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND, OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE FOR ME?
Yes, you can purchase a plan for someone else.
WHAT DO MY FAMILY NEED TO DO WHEN I DIE?
When the time comes, your family just need to follow the guidance in your Funeral Plan documentation. Golden Leaves send you duplicate copies so that you can pass one to whoever needs to be aware of the details.