Who are SunLife?
SunLife are a financial services provider that offers a range of financial services, including PrePaid Funeral Plans, for customers who are over 50. Alongside funeral plans, they offer life insurance, equity release, home insurance, car insurance and pet insurance. Their Funeral Plans are for designed for customers aged between 50 and 80.
The Financial Conduct Authority regulates SunLife. The business started in 1810. In 1900 they became the first UK-based company to offer insurance without the need for a medical. They started offering specialist products for over 50s in 1979.
SunLife’s Funeral Plans are provided by Dignity, who claim to be the leading Funeral Plan provider in the UK. They started offering Funeral Plans under the Chosen Heritage brand in 1985 and became Dignity in 2001.
- Sun Life Funeral Plans
- Who are SunLife?
- Compare SunLife Funeral Plans
- Have SunLife Guaranteed Funeral Plans got good customer feedback?
- What happens if I take out a SunLife Guaranteed Funeral Plan?
- Where do SunLife keep their clients’ money?
- Do they offer guarantees?
- For how many years will I pay premiums?
- Are SunLife registered with the Funeral Planning Authority (FPA)?
- What payment options are available?
- What if I have a complaint with SunLife or Dignity?
- Is bereavement support available to me?
- Sun Life Frequently Asked Questions
- WHAT IS THE AVERAGE COST OF A PREPAID FUNERAL PLAN WITH SUN LIFE FUNERAL PLANS?
- IS A FUNERAL PLAN WITH SUN LIFE FUNERAL PLANS THE BEST OPTION FOR ME?
- ARE SUN LIFE FUNERAL PLANS A TRUSTWORTHY COMPANY FOR FUNERAL PLANS?
Compare SunLife Funeral Plans
So, what types of Funeral Plans do SunLife offer, and how do they compare to the market?
As with any financial decision, we recommend that you carefully consider what you need and what options are currently available across the market. We can assist you with this process.
SunLife offer three types of Funeral Plans, which receive funding from a life insurance policy, so they have no cash value. The three options are: Direct Cremation, The Traditional Plan, and The Traditional Plus Plan. These Funeral Plans have competitive pricing, and they all include different funeral costs, so it’s essential to understand the details.
All of SunLife’s Funeral Plans include the following benefits:
- Support from a Dignity Funeral Director
- Guidance on registering a death and collecting paperwork
- Collection and transportation of the deceased
- Care of the deceased and preparation ahead of the funeral
- Bereavement counselling and professional support 24 hours a day
We are happy to support you with any questions.
The Direct Cremation Plan
The Direct Cremation Plan is the cheapest option amongst SunLife’s Funeral Plans and is only suitable for a cremation funeral. It covers the cost of a simple cremation without a funeral service. It includes the following features:
- A direct cremation, which means there is no funeral service
- Cremation takes place at a time chosen by Dignity
- Careful return of the ashes within the UK
- A simple coffin
The Traditional Plan
The Traditional Plan is Sunlife’s most popular Funeral Plan. It includes:
- The fees for a cremation, or a contribution towards a burial funeral
- For cremations – return of ashes to family and loved ones
- A cremation funeral service
- A ‘smarter’ coffin
The Traditional Plus Plan
The Traditional Plus Plan is SunLife’s top of the range Funeral Plan. It contains the benefits of the Traditional Plan plus:
- A coffin of high quality
- Transportation to a separate service, for example, a church-led service. However, the costs of the additional service are not part of the plan
- Two limousines
Have SunLife Guaranteed Funeral Plans got good customer feedback?
At the time of writing this review, SunLife have an excellent score of 4.8 out of 5 on Fefoo, the independent customer review site. This score came from over 5,600 reviews. However, this score relates to all of SunLife’s services, and not just Funeral Plans.
Dignity deliver SunLife’s Funeral Plans when the moment comes. At the time of writing, Dignity have an excellent score of 4.8 stars out of 5 on Feefo, comprised of over 1,800 reviews. Feefo awarded Dignity a Platinum Trusted Service Award in 2020 in recognition of its consistently excellent service.
The majority of reviews comment on Dignity’s excellent service standards. In the few cases where customers have left negative feedback, or expressed a concern, Dignity have replied to assist the client.
What happens if I take out a SunLife Guaranteed Funeral Plan?
Once you have signed up to a plan with SunLife, you will receive a Policy Pack. This pack contains the details of your plan, payments, cover, and information to provide to whoever will be organising the funeral. Your policy is provided by Phoenix Life Limited who operate as SunLife.
If you take out a plan with SunLife and change your mind, you can cancel the policy within 30 days and receive a full refund. If you die before you have paid two years of premiums, then your Estate will receive a refund of your premiums. If your death falls within two years of buying the policy, and it is due to an accident, SunLife will cover the cost of your funeral subject to specific Terms and Conditions.
Where do SunLife keep their clients’ money?
At the time of writing, unlike the majority of funeral plan providers, SunLife are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). The life cover you receive as part of your policy comes with protection under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The FCA intend to regulate the Funeral Plan industry within the next 18 months to two years.
If Phoenix Life Limited, trading as SunLife, went out of business, then the FSCS would return your money. This arrangement is different from the majority of Funeral Providers who place client monies in an Independent Trust.
Do they offer guarantees?
The SunLife Guaranteed Funeral Plan, guarantees the following:
- Your money pays for a life insurance policy it receives protection through the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
- You will be accepted if you are between the ages of 50 and 80.
- Your life insurance policy will cover the cost of the funeral you have selected as long as you have paid premiums for two years.
- If you die within the initial two years of your policy, then your Estate will receive a refund of your payments.
- At the time of writing, they also guarantee a free gift card worth £100 for Funeral Plan customers. Customers receive this gift card after paying six months of premiums for their guaranteed Funeral Plan.
For how many years will I pay premiums?
With a SunLife Guaranteed Funeral Plan, you will pay premiums either until you reach the age of 90 or until your death if that comes sooner. It is, therefore, possible that you could pay more in premiums, than the eventual cost of your funeral. However, customers also receive cover in the event of a death by accident as soon as they take out their policy, subject to specific Terms and Conditions.
If a plan holder stops paying their monthly premiums, then they no longer receive cover, or their chosen funeral.
Are SunLife registered with the Funeral Planning Authority (FPA)?
SunLife Guaranteed Funeral Plans are operated by Dignity who have a registration with the Funeral Planning Authority through their limited company, Dignity Pre Arrangement Limited.
What payment options are available?
SunLife Guaranteed Funeral Plans pay for your funeral through a lump sum from a life insurance policy. Your insurance policy has a monthly premium that is calculated based on your age at the time you take out the policy and the cash sum that you need the policy to generate. You can receive a quote for your monthly premium on SunLife’s website or by calling them on 0800 904 7649.
SunLife will take your monthly payments by direct debit.
What if I have a complaint with SunLife or Dignity?
If you have a complaint about SunLife, then they prefer for you to call them on 0800 008 6060.
If you have a complaint relating to Dignity, you can contact them in the following ways:
Phone: 0800 731 0655
Post: Client Relations Department, 4 King Edwards Court, King Edwards Square, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, B73 6AP
Dignity commit to acknowledging your complaint within two working days and aim to resolve it as soon as possible.
If Dignity, do not resolve your complaint, you can refer it to the Funeral Planning Authority by contacting them in one of the following ways:
Phone: 0345 601 9619
Post: Funeral Planning Authority, Barham Court, Teston, Maidstone, Kent ME18 5BZ
Is bereavement support available to me?
Yes, SunLife have a 24-hour bereavement support line for their customers.
Sun Life Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE COST OF A PREPAID FUNERAL PLAN WITH SUN LIFE FUNERAL PLANS?
Funeral plans with Sun Life can vary quite significantly in price.
This is down to the ability to customise the funeral plan to the customers needs. This might include items which are upgradable, such as choice of funeral service, flower options and amount of cars for the service.
IS A FUNERAL PLAN WITH SUN LIFE FUNERAL PLANS THE BEST OPTION FOR ME?
There are a lot of funeral plan providers on the market, so you should carefully consider all of the choices before you go ahead with Sun Life.
You should consider if:
- Sun Life offer you a price which you can easily afford
- Sun Life give you the optional extras which you will need
- you are happy with the reviews and reputation of Sun Life
Only when you have considered all of the above criteria, should you continue to apply for a funeral plan with Sun Life.
ARE SUN LIFE FUNERAL PLANS A TRUSTWORTHY COMPANY FOR FUNERAL PLANS?
Sun Life were incorporated on 3-Jun-94 under the company name Sunlife Limited.
They are a legitimate funeral plan company who operate in the United Kingdom. You should always consider all of the different funeral providers to make sure you are buying a funeral plan which is suitable for yourself and your family.